Thursday, February 10, 2011

Quick, Random Reviews of Four Spenser Novels by Robert B. Parker

Cold Service


Very good, better than many in the series. Maybe a little too much back and forth comparing Spenser/Susan with Hawk and his temporary girlfriend, and the way it finally went down in Marshport wasn't very satisfying, and the off-stage ending with Hawk was also a little strange...but the story wasn't really about that final confrontation, and there was no doubt of the outcome, so the story was about Spenser and Vinnie being there. Didn't like how Vinnie was sort of treated as the loser of the group...but overall it all worked, anyway, despite its flaws, as is also typical.


Painted Ladies


I'd forgotten to post a review when I'd first read this in October 2010, but as I look at the cover now and try to remember what it was about, I find that I cannot do it.  Which doesn't mean the book was bad, per se, as I don't believe I ever read a bad Spenser book.  But it does mean that there was nothing in it to separate it from the rest, and while that's not terrible, it's not good, either.


Rough Weather


Read this one already, as I have every Parker book, but I read something about The Grey Man, so I thought I'd give this another shot.  Better than I remembered, but not one of his best. You would think Rugar would have killed him right away, esp. to protect his daughter.  Since Rugar knew he was tough to kill, as he mentions in Small Vices, he would have done it himself.  But everything good about the series is evident here.  All minor characters from the series make an appearance here.  Overall, very good and, as usual, addictive reading.


Small Vices


Read this one already, as I have every Parker book, but I read something about The Grey Man, so I thought I'd give this another shot.  Better than I remembered, but not one of his best. The time passing seems oddly handled, and you would think Rugar would find him immediately again once he got his apartment back.  Fairly long for Spenser/Parker, but everything good about the series is evident here.  All minor characters from the series make an appearance here.  Overall, very good and, as usual, addictive reading.


My similar reviews of these past two books tell you how similar the last two books were!

No comments:

Post a Comment