Sunday, January 9, 2011

If It Fits, It Fits. If It Doesn't, It Doesn't.

Whoa!  I got a lot of emails and comments about the last blog entry, so please let me clarify a few things.  (And thanks very much for those who responded.)

First, in response to an email, I wasn't saying that I should write an inspirational work because someone mentioned that, when I did, let her know.  Not at all.  In some ways, Cursing the Darkness, though very dark, is inspirational at the end.  The main character, after all, finds redemption and saves a life.  Solves a few major crimes and mysteries while he's at it, too.  So I do, in a way, write inspirational things, though not quite in the Anne Morrow Lindbergh vein.  Thank you, reader, for that email.

Secondly, I have to admit to a slight loss in confidence.  The business side of writing had been getting to me, and I almost had my hands and arms thrown up, but I recovered a bit today.  I am only going to write what I want, as I concluded yesterday, though today I am a bit more confident about that.  As I said, I can't say that it's a stance I'm advocating; I simply cannot write anything I'm not driven to write.  It's part of why I stopped being a freelance reporter and copyeditor.  (The other part was the lack of decent payment!)  Thank you, Emma, for your comments!  Rest assured that I'm still in it to win it--for me.  I assure you, I used to work for the papers, and unless I get my own column (which I was promised back in the day, and never got), I'm not going back!  (Though I do miss the freedom, the driving around, the independence, the meeting of new people...)

Lastly, thank you all--e-friends who emailed and/or commented--and others who called, for giving me a little pet on the head and the advice to carry on.  I will.  I am.  (After I get done the work necessary this weekend to pay The Man.)  I will indeed write what I am driven to write, what I want to write, and I will write really long blogs when I want to.  I'll keep my eyes and ears open to what's been selling, but I won't gear my work towards it, per se.  If it fits, it fits.  If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Thanks again.  You all rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment