Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thank You, T. & F., and Stephen King Epigrams

This will be a writing/literature-related post, but I have to break protocol by thanking T. and F. for their support today.  Bad day--bad week!--and these two friends took me out for dinner and wine, said awesome things, and overall encouraged and held me up.  What great friends!  And one of them emailed later, saying:
 

sorry to hear that you've had a crazy week...In any case, I know you are bothered by this cluster f*** but it'll pass. You are a talented, organized, dedicated, extremely knowledgeable [guy]. You need to keep that in your head and in your heart.Have a restful and worry-free weekend!

Undoubtedly, this person was kidding about the "organized" part, but still...I got by with a little help from my friends today.  Thanks, guys.  You rule.  **sniffle, sniffle**  GROUP HUG!!!

Okay, so now...How about some of my favorite Stephen King lines?  In recognition of his next book coming out on the 9th--because he SO needs my support!!!--here are some of the Stephen King keepers since 1974:

Friends come in and out of your lives like busboys in a restaurant, did you ever notice that? But when I think of that dream, the corpses under the water pulling implacably at my legs, it seems right that it should be that way. Some people drown, that’s all. It s not fair, but it happens. Some people drown.

---"The Body"/ Different Seasons

Mommy, he said thickly. How did the monster in my closet get out? Is it a dream? Is it my nap?

---Cujo.

Well, we all do what we can, and it has to be good enough. And if it isn’t good enough, it has to do.

---The Dead Zone.

So you understand that when we increase the number of variables, the axioms themselves never change.

---Rage.

He never made it out of the cock-a-doodie car!

---Misery

And my all-time favorite, which Stuttering Bill Denbrough says:

He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

---It.

No comments:

Post a Comment