My thoughts about the first few episodes of AHS: Hotel so far:
This is from "Episode 2--Chutes and Ladders"
1. Whenever I see a scene like the blonde getting a cloud of white powder fluffed on her once she died, I think, "Now there's a sinus infection waiting to happen." That's how often I get those.
2. Kudos to Falchuck and Company for referencing House of Cards, which isn't a Fox show.
3. I'm guessing that once someone violates one of the Ten Commandments, they're stuck in the Hotel Cortez. Again, "...prisoners of our own demise."
4. Of course, Holden and the other kids were kidnapped, not sinful. (And a thousand kudos to the show for the Holden / Catcher in the Rye reference when he was kidnapped on top of the angry horse on the carousel. That horse was straight from the book's cover. As is the name Holden itself.)
5. The Shining reference #12 or so: Rotting bodies in the shower. Same green and brown splotches.
6. Saw the chutes. Where are the ladders?
7. Ah, there. In the bar.
8. The little girl wanders off during the fashion show and takes a public bus alone. Great parenting.
9. Little kids acting in a show this adult is a tiny bit unnerving.
10. Ah. I was waiting for the Hotel Cortez origin story.
Extra: The guy who built the Hotel Cortez is modeled after the very real H.H. Holmes, the butcher of the 1893 Chicago Expedition / World's Fair. He built a house there with hallways that went nowhere, rooms to nothing, torture chambers, furnaces. If you're into serial killers and the creepy, Google him.